• 300g ground almonds
• 300g icing sugar
• 2 lemons (rind & juice)
• 1 eating apple
•125g sunflower oil
• 150g brown sugar
• 75ml water
• ½ tsp grated nutmeg
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp xanthan gum
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 175g gluten-free plain flour/rice flour
• 200g currants
• 100g mixed peel
• 1 tbsp apricot jam
• Mix together the almonds, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice and
form into two balls of dough. Cover and set these aside.
• Grate the whole apple into a bowl, add the sugar and oil, then beat
• Add the water, nutmeg, cinnamon, xanthan gum and baking powder.
• Mix in the flour, currants and peel.
• Press ½ mixture into a greased and lined 20cm/8” round cake tin.
• Take one ball of the almond paste, roll it into a 22cm/9” circle and
place on top of the cake mixture. Spread the remaining cake mixture
on top of the almond paste.
• Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1¾-2 hours.
• Allow the cake to cool then run a knife around the cake edges and
turn it out from its tin. Brush the top of the cold cake with the
• Take the second ball of almond paste and break off enough to make
11 marble sized pieces.
• Roll out the remaining almond dough into a circle 20cm/8” round
and place the almond dough circle on top of the apricot jam.
• Press the 11 balls of almond paste onto the top of the cake,
moistening the base of each slightly if they do not stick.