Recipe Corner: Bone Broth
- 1 kg beef, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, or other bones (with plenty of connective tissue - feet, knuckles, necks, backs, etc.)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- 1 cup roughly chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup roughly chopped celery
- 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp or Himalayan Celtic sea salt
- 3 bay leaves
- Filtered water
- Place the ingredients into slow cooker.
- Fill the pot with filtered water until the bones are submerged by a couple of centimetres.
- Cover with the lid, leaving it slightly ajar and cook on low for 24 hours for poultry bones and 48 hours for red meat bones. [NB. When using red meat bones, roast them in an oven at 220ºC for 30 minutes before.]
- Strain the bone broth through a fine mesh sieve into jars and store in the fridge or freezer.